Sunday, August 25, 2013

PPOM #4 Giving away my books


It's the last post for Potentially Problematic Opinions Month! I can't believe it's come around so fast, although in other ways it's been a very long month. I have been so busy at work, I'm working extra hours (much to the loving disapproval of my father), which means that my house is looking a bit messy. As well as messy, I've been noticing for a few months now that it looks really cluttered. So I'm going to get rid of the items I have the most of - books. Horror!


Some of my friends are horrified at this plan to get rid of some of my books, and others can't believe I'm not planning to get any money for them. Personally, I'm just at the point where I want the extraneous tomes out of my house. Don't get me wrong, I love books, but at the moment I'm tired of being surrounded by so many of them that I don't want to read. 

I have favourite books which I return to year after year, and which I love re-reading - I get something new out of them every time I read them. These are the books I'm going to keep. But I also have shelves full of books I had to buy for school or university which didn't really grab me. And I have books which I've read and enjoyed and... that's it. I'm not in love with them, and I don't plan to read them again. 

Then there are the books I've received as gifts, or for free, or as review copies. Some of these I really enjoyed, but I don't necessarily want to keep them in my house forever. I'm all about priorities - there are lots of books out there that I do want to buy and keep around forever, so I need to make some room. 

One of my friends said that I can't love books as much as I say I do if I'm "throwing them away". Bollocks. I love books so much, I'm making room for more. It's not like I'm making a giant bonfire in the local park, I'm planning to donate them all to a charity. This lets other people see books they perhaps wouldn't be exposed to, and they can even buy them cheaply! 

But another one of my friends is annoyed with me that I'm planning to give them away. She says that since I spent so much money acquiring these books, I should get some money back. Plus, the money I get can go towards new books. I do like the idea of money for more books, but it just doesn't sit right with me. A lot of these books I got for free, and the books I paid for, I feel like I've got my moneys worth. I've read them as many times as I want, and now I want the space they are occupying more than I want the books. 

I will admit, this is a weird PPOM post, but it's what's going on in my life at the moment. 

I've really loved being part of PPOM, and I thank Alex very much for inviting me to be a part of it. Posts this week include this one from Alex herself, one from Britt in Boots, one from Lizzy at Hum Drum Plum, a post from Tim at Hutt of Tea (who is new to PPOM!) and more to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment